How to administer Narcan Nasal Spray 4mg
Narcan is a medicine that reverses the effects of an opioid overdose.
- Important! Call 911 and tell the operator that someone is not responding or breathing. Have the exact address of where the person is.
- Open the package and hold the applicator with your thumb on the bottom of the “plunger.” Put your fingers on the sides of the nozzle.
- Insert the tip of the nozzle into either nostril. Tilt the person’s head back.
- Press the plunger of the applicator firmly to give the dose. Remove the applicator from the nostril after giving the dose.
- Mouth to mouth breathing: Tilt their chin up and pinch their nose. Give one breath every 5 seconds for 2-3 minutes. During this time you are waiting for the Narcan to take effect.
- Repeat: If the person does not respond after 2-3 minutes, you can administer another dose of Narcan in the other nostril. Keep doing mouth to mouth breathing until the ambulance arrives.